Sunday, March 27, 2016

So Cool !!

Hi guys,

As some of you know, I've been tinkering with the Raspberry Pi 3.    It's so cool.

First, I was just wondering just what $35 would buy with the base board.   Now, I've added the Pi Camera and the tinkering has turned into fun.

I started out by monitoring a push button switch to initiate taking a photo, and e-mailing the photo to myself via my Gmail account.    A couple of days later I integrated some motion monitoring code and turned the Pi into a front porch monitor.

The Python motion monitor code allows me to vary the pixel change threshold and number of pixels changed (sensitivity).   After a little testing, I determined that for a 640 x 480 photo, I need a pixel sensitivity of 5000 pixels.   

After I got all of this working, I used electrical tape to mount the Pi to our front porch windows (inside) and pointed the camera toward our front porch steps.   The code tested took a photo every 3 seconds, checked for motion and if motion was detected e-mailed me the photo.   

Since it was windy yesterday, I kept getting photos of Linda's spring front porch flag, it was behind the front column and kept blowing in and out of the frame and triggering my motion detector.  

While I was at a wedding yesterday, I got a legitimate motion detection photo - but no worries, it was just a couple walking by on the sidewalk, :-) .  

Up to this point, I've dusted off some Linux skills, and refreshed my Python programming.   I've also learned how to use Cron to boot code at power up.   Today, I tethered the Pi to my iPhone and demoed the app to my dad - detecting that he had entered the living room !  so cool!  I have few bugs to work out yet, and that's what makes this fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment